Want to make your holidays greener? Use these tips!
- Halloween - make your own costumes and avoid the disposable type; use pillow cases or canvas bags instead of plastic for collecting treats; give out trail mix or small durable toys instead of candy.
- Thanksgiving/Christmas/Hanukkah - use reusable metal baking trays rather than disposable aluminum. Reuse disposable trays if they are used.
- Buy a live Christmas tree and plant it in your yard after the holidays, or buy an artificial tree that can be used year after year. Otherwise, recycle your cut tree into mulch.
- Give live or silk plants rather than cut flowers.
- Use wrapping paper and cards made from recycled paper. Free gift wrap made from recycled paper is available every holiday season in Pinellas County. Call 464-7500 for information.
- At picnics, use cloth napkins and table cloths, china, silverware or reusable plastic.
- Use popcorn instead of Styrofoam peanuts for packaging. When you receive items packed in peanuts, reuse them yourself or check if your local mailing/shipping store might want them.
- Reuse wrapping paper, tissue paper and bows.